This program is for those on low incomes who are considering whether to consolidate their debts. Those who qualify, may also be able to access safe and affordable credit with no fees or interest charges.
During this process a financial counsellor will:
- Build a non-judgemental financial picture of your current position, review the current budget and discuss realistic options available to resolve your financial situation.
- Help you to negotiate payout arrangements for the debt. This could include: the loan being written-off; making payments without interest for the life of the loan; the debt being wiped in full; negotiation of pay-out figures with much less, but achievable, repayments.
- Recommend a no-interest debt consolidation loan, where suitable.
- Recommend the client file for bankruptcy, where suitable.
- Offer you access to further counselling and education programs to help you manage your budget and avoid any further financial distress.
Debt consolidation is NOT suitable for:
- Rent arrears and items for which other forms of assistance are available;
- General living expenses such as food, gas, electricity and phone bills.
- Fines, Centrelink debt, Australian Tax Office debt and Child Support debt
If you think you would benefit from this program, please call us during office hours to book an appointment.